Apply through Handshake for all library student positions (and other campus jobs).
At the beginning of each semester, Crumb and Crane libraries have positions as Circulation Clerks and there are also Technical Services Student Assistants in Crumb Library. Federal Work Study students are preferred*, but we also hire those without Work Study. We will need your schedule and a letter of interest to let us know why you want to work in the library and about any work experience that you may have. Students do not need prior library experience to apply. We fill our positions immediately prior to and within the first week of the semester, so get your application in! If we end up with a mid-semester opening we check applications still in the Handshake system, so if you are interested, please look at our Handshake listings.
To find our postings in Handshake:
- Search with the words Circulation Clerk or else Technical Services
- Use the "On Campus" filter to get rid of all the external postings from other schools.
Circulation Clerk Desk Duties:
- Check out and check in library materials.
- Place returning materials, in call number order, in the proper location.
- Shelve library materials and perform other stack maintenance tasks.
- Update/register patrons in the database as needed.
- Assist patrons with the mechanical operations of various library equipment.
- Assist patrons with the library catalog.
- Assist patrons with locating library materials.
- Answer patron directional questions.
- Direct patrons to Ask Us 24/7 chat or librarians for research assistance.
- Answer the phone, and if need be, transfer the call.
- Perform other duties as required.
Technical Services Student Assistants for Crumb Library:
- Assist with book stack maintenance, including:
- physical shifting of books and periodicals
- inventory of specific collections
- pulling books/videos from call number lists for various projects
- physical upkeep of collection (dusting/wiping/tidying)
- shelf reading (making sure books are in correct call number order)
- Perform data entry for the Federal Depository Library Program, which requires accuracy and attention to detail.
*We give preference to students who are eligible for Federal Work Study as part of their financial aid package*